Why You Shouldn't Wash Your Hair:

29.5.14


Before I get started I have to say that I'm writing this post with my boyfriend's two cats on the computer desk that seem to be determined to distract me as much as possible and follow the mouse icon around the screen while I work. So if there are a few mistakes or repetitive parts in this post then apologies in advance.

On to the main point of this post however, I know that the title makes this sound disgusting but just to clarify I do actually wash my hair just not as often as most people do. I aim to go for as long as possible without washing my hair, usually only lasting around the week mark although a lot of my friends have lasted much longer than that, I don't know how they do it. 

I suppose you might be wondering why on earth my friends an I go so long without washing our hair. The truth of the matter is that it makes your hair so much stronger and healthier if you let it get (and I'm sorry there is no nice way of saying this) a little greasy every now and again. I don't claim to be a scientist although I've been trying to find out a bit more about how this works for you all. Basically allowing your hair to get a little greasy means the natural oils in your hair have longer to develop and nourish your hair. After a few days of showing up and feeling a bit gross then your oils will begin to sink back into the hair follicles making them smoother, stronger and healthier. It will also help your hair grow too so if you're looking for ways to promote hair growth and keep your hair in good condition while it's growing this will be perfect for you. 

If you're worried about the smell or the way your hair looks then you really don't have to. Just make sure that your hair gets aired out every now and again so don't keep it all tied up in a bobble too much, especially just after a wash, make the most of it looking and feeling clean by leaving it down and letting it get aired out as much as possible, at least for the first few days. Some of you may be thinking that there's no way you could manage just a few days let alone a week or longer without washing your hair, and neither did I when I was first introduced to the idea of going without washing my hair. I used to wash my hair every other day without fail, then I slowly escalated going from every other day to leaving three days in between washes, now I'm managing to go longer and longer without washes.

I know it's hard to shake the unclean feeling when you think about going without washing your hair. But it really doesn't mean that you're not clean, I still have regular showers and baths I just keep my hair tied up and out of the water, or you could invest in a shower cap, not very glamorous but it saves a lot of worry. 

I have to say that I've really found a huge difference in the strength, length and shininess of my hair since starting this. It can be hard to start with but after a while the long term benefits can really show through and make you want to keep at it. If you don't think you could manage it as an everyday thing then I would recommend giving it a go when you're on holiday or aren't planning on going anywhere too special for a while just as a little treat for your hair to give it a bit of extra nourishment.

Ok that's the end of another blog post,with the cats now curled up having a sleep on my lap it doesn't look like I'm going to be going anywhere for a while. I hope you enjoyed this post and if you did or you think you're going to give this a go then let me know in the comments I'd love to hear if you're doing the same as I am and what experiences you've had. 

xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment